The cord of my kitchen blind is twisted and tangled. I used to think a family member was doing this to mess with me. Not so. It just happens, little by little. If I don’t keep up, untwisting it day by day, the tangle becomes a snarl, a complicated mess that’s hard to set straight. Sin is that way. Have you noticed?
- How did that bad habit take hold? Little by little.
- How did that relationship become so sour? Little by little.
- How did that close walk with the Lord evaporate? Little by little.
Hebrews 12 has a lot to say about keeping sin from becoming a snarl in our lives. Look at verse 1, “Let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.” Perseverance is the straightening process that must be done day by day before our tangles become snarls. We may not all be hindered by the same temptations, but we all have a lot of “throwing off” to do. We can do it, though, because we have the power of the Holy Spirit within us. Hebrews 12 is a rich chapter, full of pointers on how to live well. Here’s an abbreviated version of the rest of the chapter:
- Keep looking at Jesus, in order to keep from growing weary and losing heart.
- Endure hardship as discipline. God disciplines us for our good, so that we may share in his holiness.
- Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy.
- See to it that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble.
- See that no one is sexually immoral, or is godless.
- Be thankful, and worship God with reverence and awe.
And that’s plenty to chew on for this week!
May God let his Word sink deep into your soul!